Separation advice if you and your partner are breaking up

If you and your partner have decided to go your separate ways, or if you are unsure about your entitlements should the relationship break down, it is prudent to have a discussion with a family lawyer about your rights and obligations in the event of a separation.

We invite you to arrange an initial consultation to discuss the many aspects pertaining to a relationship breakdown. Property matters and parenting matters are best given consideration at an early stage.

We do not make your decisions for you, however we can provide advice based on our knowledge of the law and our experience over many years of practice. We can provide guidelines and practical help to assist you through the difficult process of extricating your financial affairs from those of your partner. Sometimes, to achieve a fair outcome for the separating parties, an adjustment needs to be made by way of splitting a portion of superannuation from one party’s superannuation fund to the fund of the other party. This is just one example of the need to have formal, legal and binding documents prepared by your lawyer.

As to parenting matters, issues of whether or not the children will be cared for by both parents, or where the children will live, and how much time they will spend with the other parent,  are matters which need to be addressed. Many parents are able to discuss parenting issues together and reach an agreement which not only provides for the best interests of the children, but is an arrangement that is mutually suitable to the parents. It is prudent to have these satisfactory arrangements documented either by way of a Parenting Plan, or a more formal document called Consent Orders.

Not all separations involve marriages. De facto and same-sex relationships also come under the principles of Family Law.Davey Law Same Sex Couple

We do not provide initial advice over the telephone or by email. Please contact us to arrange an appointment with one of our solicitors who will hear your story, answer questions, and provide family law advice.


This website provides information only and is not a substitute for legal advice.